Diabetes is a very common ailment assailing a number of people today. There are several reasons for the same like
- Paucity of time for exercising,
- Popularity of junk food,
- Indisciplined lifestyle,
- Increased pressure and tensions at workplace as well as in life in general etc.
But Diabetes as a sickness can have far reaching consequences if not dealt with properly. While medicines and intake of insulin are a common way to control the same, these can have certain side effects which might prove to be detrimental for the general health of a person.
There are, however, certain natural products which when included in the daily diet of a person help to control diabetes without any side effects. The metabolic control can be enhanced by physical activity and diet with or without antidiabetes drugs, which decrease the risk of complications to a large extent. Camel milk is one such product which has been seen to have a positive effect on the glycaemic control in people with diabetes. It appears to be effective and safe in improving long-term glycemic control.
It works by:
- Bringing about a reduction in the fasting blood pressure,
- Decreasing the body’s resistance to insulin and
- Improving the lipid profile of patients with diabetes.
Camel milk constituents
Today this hypoglycaemic agent is being taken as a serious alternative method for controlling diabetes primarily because of its constituents like:
- The absolute white colour of this milk results from the fat molecules which are minutely homogenised and spread throughout the milk. While the fat content is very less and averages about 2% of the milk constituents, that present is also in the form of polyunsaturated fatty acids. This accounts of its presence in a dispersed state thereby making camel milk non-reactive or unaffected by acids.
- Water percentage is about 86 to 91% which is much higher than that present in the milk of other mammals.
- There is a very high concentration of insulin present and also contains a protein which is similar in nature to human insulin.
- This milk remains unaffected by an acidic environment and thus does not coagulate within the stomach. This facilitates smooth passage of the milk from the stomach to the intestine in an almost unchanged state thereby enabling the absorption of insulin and other proteins within the small intestine. This unique characteristic of camel milk makes it an extremely beneficial agent for glycaemic control.
- Low in cholesterol and high in ascorbic acids, vitamins like B1, B2, B12, E and A, minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Potassium, Phosphorous, Sodium and Zinc also contribute to its high nutritional benefit.
- The health beneficial effects of camel milk extended to the liver and kidneys function as well
Camel milk also a known to be easily digested by people with lactose intolerance and the immunoglobulins present help to combat autoimmune diseases by enhancing human immunity. Besides,
Effect on diabetic patients
People diagnosed with diabetes have a tendency to suffer from fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism dysfunction leading to chronic hyperglycaemia. But it has been seen that regular consumption of camel milk:
- Brings about a significant reduction in blood glucose, urea, creatinine and uric acid and
- Enhances the positive effects of albumin,
- Brings about a positive effect on the albumin: globulin ratio,Diabetes
- Improves the functioning of the liver enzymes and lipid profile and
- Facilitates renal functions
The positive effects of camel milk on people with diabetes are yet to be fully understood. But experimentations conducted till now suggest that it is extremely effective when used as an adjunctive therapy in people with diabetes.